Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bracket Breakdown

With the opening round games underway, and the real action set to begin on Thursday, I wanted to share my thoughts on this years' NCAA Tournament. I'll breakdown each region while discussing the best match-ups, sleepers, cinderellas, and my favorites to make it to Atlanta.

East Region

This region is very top-heavy with Louisville, Duke, and Michigan State as the top three seeds. Everyone is already looking forward to a potential Michigan State vs Duke match-up in the Sweet Sixteen. The winner of that could play Louisville in the Elite 8. Needless to say, the talent on those three teams and the legendary coaches would provide plenty of hype. Given that, I would be shocked to see any other teams from this region make it to the Final Four.

Best Match-up: 5-Oklahoma State vs 12-Oregon

Sleeper: 4-Saint Louis

Cinderella: 7-Creighton

My pick: 1-Louisville

West Region

This region appears to be wide open. I am not convinced in Gonzaga's ability to reach the Final Four due to their weak strength of schedule. The Zags can run into trouble if they have to play some physical teams like Wisconsin, Kansas State, or Ohio State. While those three teams could present a difficult match-up for Gonzaga, I am not entirely sold on any of their chances to make the Final Four. Don't be surprised if teams like New Mexico, Notre Dame, Iowa State, or Belmont make a deep run in the region. Like I said, this one is very unpredictable.

Best Match-up: 7-Notre Dame vs 10-Iowa State

Sleeper: 5-Wisconsin

Cinderella: 11-Belmont

My Pick: 3-New Mexico

South Region

This region is loaded with teams capable of making a run. It would not surprise me to see Kansas, Georgetown, Florida, Michigan, or VCU make it to Atlanta. All of these teams have either the talent or experience to make a serious run, which could make for some very exciting games. I really don't see any mid-major type cinderella team, but plenty of talented lower seeded teams from big conferences could present problems for the top 3 seeds in the second round.

Best Match-up: 8-North Carolina vs 9-Villanova

Sleeper: 5-VCU

Cinderella: 11-Minnesota

My Pick: 2-Georgetown

East Region

This region features the team I liked to win-it-all back in January, Indiana. When I saw the region, it looked like Indiana got a good draw because I have a hard time making a case for anyone else to survive the region. Miami has been great since conference play began, but they lack tournament experience. Marquette is a very sold team, but the have probably overachieved this season. Syracuse might be Indiana's toughest test, but they have lost 5 out of their last 9 games and looked awful in the second half of the Big East Final versus Louisville. Despite all their flaws, Indiana still has several high-quality teams in their way to Atlanta.

Best Match-up: 6-Butler vs 11-Bucknell

Sleeper: 6-Butler

Cinderella: 11-Bucknell

My Pick: 1-Indiana

Final Four:

1-Louisville over 3-New Mexico
1-Indiana over 2-Georgetown

Final:

1-Indiana over 1-Louisville

As always, the next three weeks should be full of madness. (Lame, I know. But, I couldn't help myself.)

-Eric Tichelbaut

Follow me on Twitter @etichel07

No comments: