Friday, September 4, 2015

Week 1 Preview: Notre Dame vs. Texas

The 2015 season begins tomorrow night when the 11th ranked Fighting Irish of Notre Dame host the Texas Longhorns. The Irish are coming off of an 8-5 season, while the Longhorns are looking to rebound after a 6-7 campaign.

For those that have read my previews and recaps the past two years, I'm going to be doing things differently moving forward. I'm looking to shorten the time I spend on doing these and will now provide three keys to the game in the preview and three takeaways in the recaps. Also, there may be times where I just tweet my thoughts instead of making a post. So, be sure to check my Twitter page before, during, and after the games. If I feel the need to elaborate my thoughts for a big game or story line, I'll do that as well.

With that being said, here's my keys to victory.

1. Pound the Rock - Brian Kelly knows he has a big, talented offensive line and I expect him to lean heavily on them starting tomorrow night. This should allow the Irish to control the tempo of the game, and ease Malik Zaire into action.

2. Don't get Beat Deep - Texas doesn't appear to have the talent offensively to withstand long drives and hang with Notre Dame. As long as the Irish safeties don't allow the Longhorn receivers to get behind them, the defense should play well enough to win.

3. Breakout Performances - This is more a prediction rather than a key, but I expect several players to have bigger impacts this season, and that begins tomorrow night. Offensively, look for more production from running back/receiver C.J. Prosise, receiver Torii Hunter Jr, and tight ends Durham Smythe and Alize Jones. On the other side of the ball, defensive end Isaac Rochell, defensive tackle and true freshman Jerry Tillery, and safety Max Redfield will be key contributors in 2015.

My expectations are high for the 2015 season, and the push towards the playoffs begins with a strong performance tomorrow night. 

Prediction: Notre Dame 27, Texas 13

-Eric Tichelbaut
@etichel07

No comments: