Saturday, April 20, 2013

DH or No DH, Rules Should be the Same in Both Leagues

With the Houston Astros moving to the American League this season, interleague play has been implemented nearly every day of the year. Since there are now 15 teams in each league, at least one interleague series must be played to allow all 30 teams to play. This change in interleague format has once again brought up the issue of whether or not the designated hitter rules should change. In my opinion, it should change sooner than later.

What should be the change?

Well, there are three options.

Option 1: Keep the rules the way they are with the DH in the American League and let pitchers bat in the National League. It seems to be a fair compromise, but it is severely flawed. To me it is ridiculous that the American and National League’s play under separate rules. This does not happen in any other major sport. With interleague play being year round and the likelihood of increased amount of interleague games being played, this option seems to be in jeopardy.

Option 2: Eliminate the DH. Baseball “traditionalists” have long argued that the DH ruins the strategy of baseball and hurts the game. While I am a White Sox fan and should be a fan of the American League, I enjoy watching National League games more than watching American League games. Now I don’t really enjoy watching a pitcher hit, but I prefer low-scoring games and pitchers’ duels more than slugfests. That being said, I would not have a problem with eliminating the DH. So, I am on board with this option and it would make traditionalists happy, but I just don’t see it happening.

Option 3: Implement the DH in both leagues. This might be the least popular option with the true baseball fans, but it is the most logical and likely scenario. As I stated above, I do not see the DH being eliminated and here’s why. There are too many jobs added by the DH, and the MLB Players Association will never approve the elimination of the DH. Eliminating the DH would result in 15 jobs being lost. By implementing the DH in both leagues, the MLBPA would benefit from adding 15 more jobs and allow many more players to extend their careers.

In the end, I don’t know when a change will occur, but I do think it will happen. It may take 5, 10, 20, or 30 years, but eventually both leagues will be playing under the same set of rules. I believe that baseball would like to increase interleague play to the extent that it is in the NFL, NBA, and NHL. Because of that, it seems impossible for the American and National Leagues to continue to play under separate rules. Based on what I stated above, I believe that option three will prove to emerge in the coming years, making the DH available in both leagues. As a fan, I am not sure that would be the best choice, but it is the most logical. At the very least, it would end what I believe to be is a flawed system in baseball.

-Eric Tichelbaut

Follow me on Twitter @etichel07

No comments: