Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Football Safety and it's Future

Based on the recent comments and ongoing situation about player safety, I wanted to quickly share my thoughts. It has been well documented that football related injuries, most notably concussions, have affected lives of former players. Post concussion symptoms have been so severe, that some former player's families are claiming that they have committed suicide over the problems associated with it. Over the last few years, the NFL has made a greater attempt to prevent head injuries. Helmet to helmet hits are being penalized and fined, kickoffs have been limited, more hands to face penalties are called than ever before. As much as I feel player safety is important, I hope the NFL doesn't change the game too much. Although I wouldn't like it, I could deal with eliminating kickoffs if that happened. My big concern is that the NFL turns into the Pro Bowl, which is essentially glorified flag football. Or even worse, the NFL is eliminated as some have suggested. Football has always been a tough and violent game. Nobody said it was easy. Everyone now knows the effects football can have on a player's body and mind. Any current or future player in the league knows the risks, and nobody is forcing them to play.

I would like to address a comment that came out this past week from President Barack Obama. President Obama stated, "if I had a son, I’d have to think long and hard before I let him play football." The President has every right to have his own opinion. Some parents feel and will continue to feel that way. But, I don't agree. I played organized tackle football for seven years, and wish I could still play. Although I never have been diagnosed with a concussion, I am 100% positive I've had a few. I know the feeling of getting your "bell rung". Concussions are serious, and I probably shouldn't have played if I had one, but I wanted to. That may sound bad, but ten to fifteen years ago, concussions were not seen as being as serious as they are now. With that being said, if I have a son, I will not forbid him from playing football. I now know the risks, and I will inform him of the risks. But, I will let him make his own decision. If my son wants to play football, I won't be able to stop him from playing a game that he loves. Besides the x's and o's, big hits, and exciting plays, I love football because of what it can do for a kid and a man. It teaches kids many lessons and values and allows many men opportunities, careers, and financial stability in life. In addition, coaches and trainers from Pop Warner to the NFL have learned how to diagnose concussions properly and are extremely more cautious now than ever before on how to prevent one from reoccurring. The knowledge is out there and players will play if they want to play because they love the game. And because of that, football and the NFL will always exsist.

-Eric Tichelbaut

No comments: